Every 20 years the two social planets, Jupiter and Saturn, which symbolise the structures of our society, come together in the sky in what is known as a conjunction. This “Great Conjunction” has recently coincided with the transition between decades i.e. coming together in 2000, opposing in 2010, coming together in 2020 and so on. This cycle represents endings and beginnings as old structures disintegrate and new forms begin to take shape in society.
In this exceptional year of 2020 the Great Conjunction takes on an extraordinary significance. Typically the Great Conjunctions occur in zodiac signs of the same element for a period of 200 years. When there is a permanent shift of Great Conjunctions into zodiac signs of a different element, this is known as a Great Mutation. 2020 heralds a Great Mutation from the element of earth into the element of air and for the next 200 years these two social giants will meet every 20 years in air signs. This represents an enormous shift in collective consciousness from the physical, tangible density of earth towards the quantum, vibrational energy of air.
For the past 200 years our western societal structures have been largely mechanistic and industrial; based on materialism, capitalism, individualism, success being measured by what we have accumulated and wealth created through extracting resources from the earth; valuing practical productivity with tangible results for efforts. As we transition into air we can expect disruption to the established order and experience dramatic changes in collective ideas and the way we communicate. Air relates to the mind and it values creative and intellectual efforts, exploration of theory, original and innovative ideas and experimentation. Air takes us into the realm of quantum, of waves, intangibles and energy rather than tangible, dense, particle based solid earth.
Air needs to understand, to perceive, to reason and to connect. Air is concerned with exchange, sharing, interactivity, thinking, learning, intellectual stimulation and perspective. It is more transient, diffuse and changeable rather than permanent.
On 22 December at 05.20 am Sydney time, Jupiter and Saturn will form a Great Mutation at 0 degrees of Aquarius. Aquarius is concerned with the group and has a progressive consciousness interested in the welfare of humanity and serving others. Aquarius seeks to reform old ideas and concepts and introduce new ideas, knowledge and technology to advance society. It is the rebel and the revolutionary, the unconventional visionary idealist; symbolised by the Waterbearer pouring knowledge from the river of life to share with humanity.
The last Great Mutation in air was 800 years ago and this period saw the creation of the Magna Carta; a charter of liberties & new rights for the population. This has become a symbol of freedom from oppression and the foundation for the English system of common law in use around the world today. It also saw the beginning of the Renaissance in Italy, marking the transition from the middle ages to modernity, with advances in painting, architecture, sculpture, literature, music, philosophy, science, technology, and exploration (all Aquarian ideals).
The Great Mutation comes only hours after the winter solstice at 9.07 pm on 21 December (the shortest day in the northern hemisphere and the longest day in the southern) marking a turning in the seasons of the year.
This energetically charged time offers the opportunity for a quantum leap in consciousness towards the highest expression of Aquarian values; which could manifest as
- a new era of world leadership for social and environmental justice
- a change in collective values, transitioning the status given to personal, accumulated wealth towards the expression of intellectual, creative and artistic endeavours
- a renaissance in technology and connectivity of people across the globe
- greater liberties and rights for individuals via new laws and abolishment of older oppressive laws
- acting on behalf of the globe as a whole rather than individual countries’ interests – i.e. global initiatives to protect rainforests, the Great Barrier Reef being given citizen status
- young radical energy in positions of power and influence i.e., influential activist Greta Thunberg; Finland’s 34 year old female prime minister leading a coalition government with five women in the top spots, four of whom are under 35; Jacinda Adhearn as young female prime minister in New Zealand with a core government policy of kindness
- love, brotherhood, unity and integrity
- spirit of inclusiveness and connection
As we head towards this new era and new worldview, ask yourself what different potential reality do you want to create for society and for yourself and how will you lift your personal energy field towards this?